Roopkund Trek, also known as human skeleton lake, it is a high altitude glacial lake in the Village Wan, Debal, District- Chamoli, Uttarakhand. A shallow lake, having a depth of about two meters, Roopkund has attracted attention because of the human skeletal remains that are visible at its bottom when the snow melts. Roopkund is a picturesque tourist destination and one of the important places for trekking in the Himalayas, near the base of two Himalayan peaks.Roopkund trek starts from Lohajung which also serves as the base of Brahmatal Trek. The trail from Lohajung to Junargali pass is of 26 km of moderate grade with some level walks in between. This trek do requires physical fitness and stamina and is not suitable for persons with heart problems, blood pressure, and asthma patients.
|Pick-up & Dropping point||Kathgodam, District – Nainital|
|Starting point of trek||Wan village|
|Maximum Altitude||5029 m|
|Duration||7 day /6 night|
|Best time to trek||May, June, September, October|
First Day- Kathgodam — Lohajung (Altitude 2316 mtr.)
- Picked up from Kathgodam Bus/Railway Station at 6.00.a.m.
- Approx 250 km beautiful ride Kathgodam to Lohajung Kumaon passing through Almora, Kausani, Gwaldam.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided during the journey (inclusive of charges).
- Lohajung, as the locals say, is the place where Goddess Parvati had a war (jung) with the demon, Lohasur. Hence, the name, which translates to ‘War with Lohasur.’
- Halt and Dinner guest house /hotel in Lohajung.
- An introduction & briefing session with the trek leader and fellow travelers.
Second Day- Lohajung – Wan — Gharoli Patal (altitude- 3010 mtr.) 12 km. drive & 7 km. trek
- Excursion from Lohajung to Wan in a cab after breakfast, followed by a 7 km to Gharoli Patal.
- The trek commences from Wan village, with a initial steep climb followed by gradual walk.
- The trail passes through forest offering variety of flora and fauna with glimpses of Neelganga River along the way.
- Arrival at the campsite, followed by evening refreshments.
- Dinner at the campsite, followed by rest in the camps.
Third Day- Gharoli Patal — Bedni Bugyal — Patar Nauchani(Altitude 3,910 mtr.)- 11 km. trek
- After breakfast we will start trekking, Trek route is Gharoli Patal — Bedni Bugyal — Patar Nauchani.
- Rest at Bedni Bugyal followed by a gradual climb and descend to Patar Nauchani.
- Arrival at the Patar Nauchani campsite.
- Evening refreshments and rest.
- Dinner and overnight stay at the campsite.
Fourth Day- Patar Nauchani — Kaluvinayak — Bhagwabasa (Altitude 4305 mtr.) 6 km. trek
- After breakfast start trekking for Bhagwabasa
- Steep climb in the initial stages of the trail till Kaluvinayak temple.
- Arrival at the Kaluvinayak temple midway.
- After taking rest at the temple after that start trek to Bhagwabasa.
- The trail to Bhagwabasa may be tricky due to presence of rocky and snow patches in between.
- Arrival at Bhagwabasa campsite.
- Bring sufficient woolen cloths as it is among the coldest campsites of the trek.
- With evening snacks & dinner rest in the campsite.
Fifth Day- Bhagwabasa — Roopkund Summit — Bedni Bugyal (Altitude 5029 mtr.) 14 km. trek
- After breakfast start trekking for Roopkund Summit.
- Energy drink & bar put on your bag, because 4 km steep climb is for Roopkund summit.
- On arrival of Roopkund take rest. The lake remains frozen pre-monsoon and one may find the skeletons along the periphery of the lake.
- After that return back for Bedni Bugyal from the roopkund summit.
- Dinner and overnight stay at Bedni campsite.
Sixth Day- Bedni Bugyal — Lohajung (Altitude 2337 mtr.) 12 km. drive & 13 km. trek
- 13 km descend trek to Wan village crossing Gharoli Patal.
- 12 km drive from Wan village to Lohajung.
- Arrival at Lohajung in evening. Stay at a hotel/guest house in Lohajung.
Sixth Day- Lohajung to Kathgodam
- Drive down for kathgodam from Lohajung after breakfast via Gwaldam, Kausani, Almora.
- We will reach near about at 6 pm, so you should plan accordingly.
|Transport from Kathgodam to Lohajung and return as per the itinerary||Meals during Transportation & any kind of personal Expenses.|
|Trek equipments: Sleeping bag, mattress, tent (triple sharing), Snow Grips/Micro Crampons for winter treks (if necessary)||Unscheduled or extended stay due to road blocks, Landslides|
|Food(Veg Only- Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Snacks and Dinner)||Porter / mule charges (Personal), back pack offloading Charges|
|Accommodation in Hotel/Guest House on Day 1 and day 6||Cost of Evacuation in case of emergency.|
|Experienced Trek Leader, Guides and a very supportive staff|
|First aid medical kits, Oxymeters & oxygen cylinder|
|Bon Fire in the campsite (Depends on Forest rules)|
|Backpack / Ruck Sack||at least 55 ltr.|
|Small day bag||upto 15 ltr. for summit day|
|Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries||1 Nos.|
|Water bottle or Hydration bag||1 ltr. or 2 ltr.|
|Personal Medical Kit||Consult your doctor|
|Rain Cover for Ruck Sack||1 Nos.|
|Be comfy at the trek|
|Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves)||2 Nos.|
|Track Pants||1 Nos.|
|Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night||1 Nos.|
|Fleece jacket or fleece upper||1 pair|
|Good Thermals for insulation at night|
|Think about your head|
|Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)||1 Nos. (One that covers the neck as well)|
|Woolen Cap||1 Nos.|
|Dark Sunglasses||People who wear spectacle may use photo chromatic lenses in their specs|
|Mind your step|
|warm socks||2 pair|
|normal cotton socks||2 pair|
|Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support.||1 pair|
|Keep these handy|
|Waterproof Gloves||1 pair|
|Fleece/woolen gloves||1 pair|
|Quick dry towel||Tooth brush & Tooth paste|
|Hand Sanitizers||Lip Balm and Cold Cream|
|Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)||Liquid soap|
|Mobile charger||Power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)|
*Subject to change as per trek & customer
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy.
- No of Persons (1-4) : Hatch Back – Alto, Swift or Equivalent Vehicle
- No of Persons (5-8) : Tata Sumo/Mahindra Bolero or Equivalent Vehicle
- No of Persons (9-12): Tempo Traveler
Cancellation Policies of Trek
|If trek cancel by the our side||If trek cancel by the customer side|
|If, you seat transfer to a friend
(a) You can anytime transfer your seat to your friend but he / she has to fulfill all the formalities before the day of the Event.
(b) Replacement would not be applicable on any public transport booked for original participant; in that case booking for new member has to be done again.
|Refunds are initiated and will reach to your account between 1 -16 working days of cancellation|